Shinyinlove.com has kindly nominated me for the One Lovely Blog award! Thanks to Larkin for the nomination. Now go show her some blog love.
I snatched up this desk when my BFF Craigslist told me about it.
She had potential
I sped over to the house, stopping at an ATM on the way, and pulled up where a man had placed it outside on the front walk. I suppose there’s always the temptation to pick it up and run, but I wouldn’t have been able to anyway because this. was. Heavy.
The man called a teenage boy in the house to help me load it in the back of my car. I drove off with it nervously shifting side to side in my trunk, and I shuddered at every thud I heard when I turned. Husband had to help me load it in the garage.
Later that week. I went to the garage to work on it, thinking it would be a fairly quick project since it was structurally sound and just had cosmetic damage, and that I would definitely be able to finish before leaving for our midwest vacation and the symphony started for me.
It was not to be.
The foot had broken off completely. I didn’t know how I missed that. There was no way I was willing to sell this thing with a missing foot.
I initially dealt with this by ignoring it completely and addressing all the other cosmetic issues. Like the fact that it needed to be bathed in wood putty.
Desk and wood putty: head-on collision.
Then I sanded, sanded some more, puttied some more, sanded again, primed and painted several coats. Went on vacation, got my symphony music. And it sat in the garage, lamenting the fact that it was a fabulous color of blue but had no leg or drawers.
To condense a lot of boring details, I eventually decided to deal with the foot after talking to several “real” woodworkers by getting a rasp, a coping saw, and making the foot myself. I did consider just prying off all the legs and replacing them with new ones, but after realizing how heavy this desk is and seeing how all 8 legs are heavily braced, this is the route I decided to take.
Here’s what I started with.
The canvas I had to work with.
Here’s my arsenal:
Arsenal of Insanity 1
Arsenal of Insanity 2
I took a piece of scrap 2×4, cut it to the correct height, placed it against the other leg, and traced the shape. Then I took the biggest drill bit I had and started drilling holes into the end grain around the border of the leg, if that makes sense. I cut away the excess with the coping saw, then rounded the concave part with the rasp. I lost a significant amount of sanity while whittling shavings away. I assume most woodworkers who had no access to power tools are legally insane.
I whittled away my sanity, but at least I had a leg.
Finally, I had this.
The left half is the foot I repaired. The right is one I was trying to match.
I pondered for awhile what to paint the drawers. I wanted white but as I mentioned in my previous post, I was afraid of it being too 8-year-old girl. I considered keeping the blue and also silver, but the majority liked the idea of white. A commenter on my FB page opined that the white against blue looked very “Tiffany’s” and I was sold.
Here’s the final product from a few angles.
I have to say, I LOVE this color combination.
Look at these details!
Here’s the breakdown of steps and materials used.
1. Wood putty and spackle to fill in dents, gaps, other imperfections. Overfilled each one.
2. With my Bosch RO sander and 150-220 grit sandpaper, sanded off the excess putty after it dried. By hand in spaces too small for my sander.
3. Puttied again because inevitably there are always spots you miss, the putty shrinks more than you anticipated, etc.
4. This time, sanded by hand.
5. Vacuumed off dust, then wiped with a damp cloth or tack cloth, whichever was handy at the time.
6. Primed with Kilz latex. I am meh about this primer – it was on sale awhile back, but once this is gone, I don’t think I’ll be going back. It doesn’t wow me at all in terms of adhesion. It’s not horrible, but I think there are other primers that are better.
7. Sanded with 220 grit on the RO sander.
8. Vacuum, wipe, etc.
9. With roller, rolled on some Valspar oops paint I got awhile back that I’d been dying to use but hadn’t had a chance to. Added Floetrol and rolled on thin coats – thin as in, barely enough to cover the surface.
10. Brushed on where it’s too small for the roller.
11. Sanded with 220/320.
12. Lathered, rinsed, repeated steps 9-11 3 times.
13. Sprayed Minwax’s spray-on water based polycrylic in the blue can in semi-gloss. I’d had problems in the past with this product looking splotchy on darker colors (as in, anything darker than white), but I made sure to keep at least 10 in. of distance and went really light. It looked better after sanding with 320 grit by hand. I have mixed feelings about Minwax products at this time.
14. Scrap 2×4 for the foot – cut to size, traced the shape, drilled off the excess wood with a drill, cut off extra with a coping saw, then used the rasp to smooth out the curves.
15. Glued and clamped to the foot after filing the broken edge down, filled the crack between the two with putty, and sanded. Attached a block to the inside like the others with glue and wood screws.
16. New hardware from Hobby Lobby. Fixed the one drawer bottom with water damage by breaking it, then sliding in a replacement piece of plywood. Painted and top coated drawers.
This sits patiently (for now) awaiting a buyer. If you are local (Austin) and are interested, drop me a line through my contact page.
So the end of summer is finally upon us in central Texas, and while my output was slow last month, I have a garage full of furniture, a head full of ideas, and a house full of crap with nowhere to go, so the projects will again be forthcoming!
Update: I applied General Finishes’ water-based polycrylic to just the top in gloss. Hard as nails.
Linking up at Liz Marie’s linky party!